Find your next rated tradesperson
Find a Tenant The Business Pages for Property Investment Current and archived property articles Join in our Property Investment and Landlords Forum and have your say! return to my property power team home page Services for Landlords Buy to Let mortgages and legals Find your next investment Prosper with Property Education Property Investment networking opportunities
articles > Choosing the Right Landlords Insurance
Article > Choosing the right Landlords Insurance
Article provided by Ian Simpson of Simple Landlords Insurance


Get your landlords insurance quote in just 2 minutes online at



As a landlord you'll no doubt have your work cut out already maintaining and managing your properties. You need to know that when you have to take care of your landlords insurance there's someone there to offer expert help.

When you need insurance for rented properties, there's more to take into consideration than just the bricks and mortar. Unlike ordinary home insurance, health and safety also comes into the equation and as well as property to look after you have people to protect – both your tenants and yourself. It is essential for every landlord to protect themselves against potential legal actions arising from accidents, injuries and even fatalities on their property.

All this makes it essential to choose landlords insurance that will protect you, your property and your tenants. When choosing your provider look for policies with the following cover:

Landlord’s liability insurance

According to the Association of Residential Lettings Agents (ARLA), claims for personal injury have increased by 85% in the last decade. With awards of over £100,000 not uncommon, it is absolutely essential to have adequate liability cover. Where buildings insurance is included, most providers cover of £2m as standard, and some allow upgrades to higher amounts.

Landlord’s buildings insurance

Given that ARLA estimates that some 40% of UK properties are under-insured, it is vitally important to make sure that your insurance protection covers you for the full rebuilding cost of your property. This figure is the cost for rebuilding your property if it was completely destroyed. This should not be confused with the market value of the property (which in certain circumstances can much higher than your Sum Insured). It is equally important not to underestimate your Buildings Sum Insured since should it come to making a claim the insurers will reduce the amount that they pay you in proportion to the amount you have underestimated. The Royal Institute of Chartered Surveyors Website ( has a calculator which can guide you in calculating your Building Sum Insured.

Landlord’s contents insurance

When letting furnished property, you need to know that if items get damaged, broken or stolen, you can replace them. Look for providers, who offer replacement goods on a new for old basis, and provides a range of Sums Insured to cover your needs and includes your carpets and furniture.

Loss of rent insurance

In the event of damage or repairs, covered by your policy, which makes your property uninhabitable by your tenants, look for a policy that will cover a percentage of the buildings sum insured. This will help you cover some of the cost should your tenants need to vacate the property due to an insured event. Some policies offer a variety of percentages and term lengths for Loss of Rent. Ensure you choose the right level of cover for your needs.

Alternative accommodation insurance

If you have to make a claim and your property becomes uninhabitable during the time in which repairs are carried out, look for cover that provides alternative accommodation for your tenants.

Accidental damage insurance

Accidents do happen and should any of your tenants or other parties cause accidental damage to your buildings, your landlords buy-to-let home insurance may cover you. Some providers offer this cover free, depending on your tenant type and others will make an additional charge to your premium for adding this level of cover.

This information has been provided by Simple Landlords Insurance.

At Simple we specialise in providing online landlords property insurance and make it easy for you to choose the cover, reliability and service you need. And because Simple are experts in landlords insurance, you're in excellent hands. Whatever your requirements, we understand completely and provide hassle-free protection through a choice of insurance options to meet your individual requirements - all specifically designed with the needs of buy-to-let property owners in mind. With Simple everything is made easy for you to arrange the relevant cover and everything can be completed online.

Get your landlords insurance quote in just 2 minutes online at


Bookmark and Share

You can’t predict what the future holds for your tenants so Simple has developed Simple Rent Guarantee and Legal Expenses Protection which starts from as little as £45. Great cover at a price tailored to your rental income so you don't ever pay for more than you need.

  • Up to £2500pm for rent arrears and up to £10,000 legal expenses cover
  • 6 or 12 month policies to accommodate different tenancy contracts
  • Access to a 24 hour Legal Advice Helpline
  • Convenient and easy-to-use online service you can have a policy and the security it brings in minutes.
  • Cover starting from just £45 inc IPT*

So, if you're looking for a great value Rent Guarantee Insurance from a name you can trust, visit the Simple Rent Guarantee website now to find out more.

Simple Rent Guarantee Insurance – peace of mind in an uncertain world

Access the Business Directory

© 2019 My Property Power Team | privacy policy | terms & conditions | contact us | advertise |