Find your next rated tradesperson
Find a Tenant The Business Pages for Property Investment Current and archived property articles Join in our Property Investment and Landlords Forum and have your say! return to my property power team home page Services for Landlords Buy to Let mortgages and legals Find your next investment Prosper with Property Education Property Investment networking opportunities
Article > Maintain to Keep Your Insurers Happy


Article kindly supplied by


It is important to keep your property in a reasonable condition. After all, your Landlords insurance will expect you to do so and any claim could be reduced or void if a lack of maintenance contributes towards a loss taking place, or being more severe than might otherwise be the case.

But there are other reasons why this is important, not least of which is that well maintained and attractive properties can attract rents at the top end of the range for the type and size within a given area. In addition, landlords are required to ensure that their properties are safe for habitation and a number of local and national regulations impose specific requirements on Landlords to maintain gas and electrical appliances to an adequate standard.

There is also a risk that your Landlords’ liability insurance may be called upon, should a tenant (or other third party) be injured or their belongings damaged. If you have allowed the premises to fall into disrepair, your insurance may not be valid.

It is also in your interests to ensure that the property is well maintained externally as poor guttering and down pipes can lead to physical damage.

Look also for any tell-tale signs of more serious issues such as subsidence or deteriorating fabric. All these issues could affect not only rental potential, but also the value of your property investment.

The most important issue is to ensure that all boilers, gas equipment and electrical equipment on your premises are checked on a regular basis to make sure that they comply with the latest safety standards. The principal regulations affecting let property state that all gas and electrical appliance must “be safe”, all upholstered furniture must comply with safety standards and carry a fire resistance display label, the property must have smoke alarms and an Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) must be made available to a prospective Tenant. You may also be covered by the Homes in Multiple Occupation licensing regulations.

You may also wish to regularly ensure that your property is properly protected by locks on all external doors and at least ground floor windows.

It is important to seek independent professional advice before making any decision about your Landlord liability and buildings insurance. You should always ask your Insurance Advisers what experience they have of dealing with residential and/or commercial rental property insurance.

Rated People is a community that connects you with thousands of tradespeople and customers making it easier for you to find the right person for the job.

From fitting a TV aerial to building a log cabin, Rated People can help you find the people you need to cater to all your home improvement projects.

You have a house improvement job or repair to organise and you need a recommended tradesman to do it.

MPPT has teamed up with Rated People to help get the recommended tradesman you need quickly and easily. Simply follow the 3 step process, it's free to use with no obligations, so give it a go. Simply let us know about your project in the form below and we’ll do the rest.

1. Describe your job as clearly as possible in the job form below
2. Up to 3 local recommended tradesmen will contact you to quote on your work
3. Choose your tradesman based on their quotes and the previous customer ratings




Bookmark and Share


Back to Top


© 2018 My Property Power Team | privacy policy | terms & conditions | contact us | advertise |